Buddhadeb questions Mamata`s honesty, angry Trinamool demands apology
Kolkata: Former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee has questioned his successor Mamata Banerjee`s honesty, prompting an angry rebuttal on Wednesday from Trinamool Congress which demanded an apology from the CPI-M veteran.
"I don`t agree with the perception that she is honest," Bhattacharjee told a Bengali news channel last night when asked whether he agreed with the popular perception that Banerjee was honest.
Asked to elaborate, he asked the news channel to make its own investigation.
The ruling Trinamool Congress said Bhattacharjee`s remarks were unfair.
"What he has said is unfair. The people of the state and his constituency (Jadavpore) have rejected Bhattacharjee. We demand that he express regret and apologise for the statement which involves a person (Mamata Banerjee) who has made selfless sacrifice for the service of the people throughout her life," Trinamool leader and Municipal Affairs minister Firhad Hakim told reporters at the party headquarters here.
Taking strong exception to Bhattacharjee`s comment, Hakim said, "Her(Mamata) honesty is beyond question all over India and people of West Bengal largely rely on her honesty and gave her the responsibility to serve the people."
"Such a statemwent is totally uncalled for at a time when the state is undergoing a spate of development projects under Mamata Banerjee`s leadership," he added.
Asked if the TMC would move court, he replied, "We leave it to the people. The Trinamool Congress is a transparent party."
He said "The communists are used to making such statements amounting to personal slander only to regret later."
"It is Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee who once resigned from the Jyoti Basu cabinet as minister dubbing the government as one of thieves, but rejoined it later. This is the culture of the communists," the Trinamool leader said.
Referring to Bhattacharjee giving the present regime zero in performance, he said "One who himself is zero, how can he give zero to others?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?