Buddhadeb questions TMC`s claim it will play decisive role
Kolkata: CPI(M) politburo member Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday questioned claims by Trinamool Congress that it would play a decisive role in the Lok Sabha polls, saying that they would become part of Congress or BJP led governments.
"Of late Trinamool is claiming that it would be a decisive factor in the post Lok Sabha election scenario. What will they do? They will at best be ministers of a BJP-led government or a Congress-led government," Bhattacharjee told a party rally at Budge Budge.
He pointed out that the TMC was part of the NDA and Congress-led UPA governments earlier.
Bhattacharjee, a former chief minister, claimed that the TMC had invited the BJP to West Bengal when it had joined hands with the NDA.
"But BJP this time is more aggressive and the spectre of riots is associated with Modi who wants a Hindu rashtra," he said.
"And, TMC also wants the same. What has Modi done for his state? What will TMC do after going to Delhi?" the CPI(M) leader asked.
Admitting that the coming Lok Sabha elections would be a difficult one for Left parties, he said that the Left had alternative policies and they would not allow privatisation of banks and LIC.
"We will not allow nationalised banks and LIC to be sold out," he said.
Meanwhile, Trinamool Congress MP Sougato Roy hit out at Bhattacharjee saying that the party would maintain equal distance from both the BJP and Congress.
"Trinamool Congress will be a decisive factor in the formation of the government. We will reduce the Left to a non-entity after the elections," he told a news agency.
Countering Bhattacharjee`s allegations, Roy said, "It was the Left which was instrumental in bringing the BJP to the state as a political force.
"When the Left parties supported the VP Singh government in 1989 it was also backed by BJP from outside." he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror