Buddhadeb rejects talks with Naxals
Kolkata: Rejecting the demands for
withdrawal of security forces and release of naxal prisoners
by Maoist-backed tribal agitators, West Bengal Chief Minister
Buddhadev Bhattacharjee on Tuesday night said the police have been asked to move to detained Rajdhani Express to rescue the
"We can`t just accept such demands like withdrawal of
security forces and release of some prisoners," the chief
minister told a press conference here on the detention of the
Bhubaneswar-Delhi Rajdhani Express by the People`s Committee
against Police Atrocities at Banstala in West Midnapore
He said the police were attacked by the agitators and
one driver received gunshot injuries.
"The police are moving towards the detained Rajdhani
Express cautiously. Our purpose is to free the area and remove
agitators from the train," he said.
"Our aim is to free the area of agitators, rescue the
passengers as also the drivers and ensure resumption of the
train`s journey," the chief minister said.
He said a few hundred passengers were detained in the
train and the drivers were sitting in a nearby area surrounded
by the agitators.
To a question, he said it would not be correct to
compare the release of Sankrail officer in-charge Atindranath
Dutta in exchange for arrested tribal women to today`s
"Don`t try to compare the two incidents. Don`t mix
the two up," he said.
"Police have come to a visible distance and senior
officers, including Chief Secretary, Home Secretary, DGP and
others are monitoring the situation from the Midnapore Circuit
House," he said.
Bhattacharjee said railway officers were also trying
to reach the spot.
"No way has been found as yet. Along with PCPA
agitators, Maoists too are in the field," he said.
Bhattacharjee said his Orissa counterpart Naveen
Patnaik had contacted him and he had held two rounds of talks
with Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves