Bus, taxi strike hits commuters in Kolkata
Kolkata: Commuters in the city and three
adjoining districts faced a tough time on Thursday with various
transport associations taking their buses and taxis off the
roads in response to a strike demanding increase in passenger
fares following the hike in diesel prices.
The transport associations earlier ignored an appeal by
the government to withdraw the strike.
In the city, office-goers and school children were put to
great hardship in the absence of nearly 1,800 mini-buses and
30,000 taxis on the roads. Many commuters were found waiting
at bus stops for a good length of time as attendance in
Besides mini-buses and taxis, a large number of private
buses remained off the roads in the city and three adjoining
districts of North 24-Parganas, Howrah and Hooghly in support
of the strike.
Earlier, Transport Minister Subrata Bakshi had appealed
to the transporters to withdraw the strike seeking time to
consider the demands of a hike in passenger fares.
However, the largest operators` unions Bengal Bus
Syndicate and the Joint Council of Bus Syndicates did not join
However, Metro services came to the rescue of many
commuters whose offices or schools fell on or near the route
of the trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj