Bypoll to Jangipur, Tehri Garhwal seats on Oct 10
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Wednesday announced bypolls to Jangipur and Tehri Garhwal Lok Sabha constituencies in West Bengal and Uttarakhand on October 10.
The two constituencies, represented by Congress leaders Pranab Mukherjee and Vijay Bahuguna, fell vacant after their elevation as the President and the Uttarakhand Chief Minister respectively.
Announcing the schedule for bye-elections, the EC said the notification for the same would be issued on September 15 and the last date for making nominations is September 22.
After scrutiny of nominations on September 24, the EC has fixed September 26 as last date for withdrawal of nominations. The election will be held on October 10 and counting will take place after three days.
The Model Code of Conduct shall come into force with immediate effect in the districts in which the whole or any part of the Parliamentary Constituency going for bye-election is included.
The electoral rolls for assembly constituencies comprised in Tehri Garhwal and Jangipur Parliamentary Constituencies have been revised with reference to January 1 as the qualifying date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll