Calcutta CAT bench head alleges phone tapping
Kolkata: Justice Pratap Kumar Ray, a retired Calcutta High Court judge and current head of the Central Administrative Tribunal`s (CAT) Calcutta bench, has complained to the home secretary that his mobile phone is being tapped.
Ray, while hearing a petition by former IPS officer Nazrul Islam on February 03, had annulled the promotion of five West Bengal IPS officers to the rank of director general of police (DGP) including the existing head of the state police, GMP Reddy.
While the CAT order was overturned by the Calcutta High Court, the Mamata Banerjee government on March 25 moved the high court against the CAT bench comprising Ray and PK Basu alleging it had passed "biased orders".
"I use this number to contact so many dignitaries including the CAT chairman. But of late whenever I call I hear a sound. It seems my conversations are being recorded. So I have written to the union home secretary," Ray told a news agency.
Ray is planning to approach the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
"Though I don`t remember, but it seems my phone is being tapped ever since the CAT order (in Islam`s case) and there is a likelihood the surveillance has increased after Monday when the case against me was filed.”
"I am discussing the matter with the CAT chairman. Once it is confirmed that my phone has been tapped, I will approach the CBI and lodge a formal police complaint," said Ray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog