Calcutta HC adjourns hearing of chit fund PILs
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday adjourned till Tuesday hearing of petitions seeking CBI probe into the multi-crore chit fund scam and directed the counsels of Saradha Group and Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh to file affidavits by Monday.
A divison bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed an advocate, who claimed to be appearing for the Saradha Group, to submit wakalatnama from the management of any group company and an affidavit stating its contention with regard to the prayers in the petitions by Monday.
The court also directed a counsel appearing for Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh, whose arrest has been prayed for in some of the public interest litigations (PILs), to submit an affidavit by Monday. The court adjourned the matter till Tuesday when the case would be heard again.
The West Bengal government has opposed a CBI probe into the scam, claiming that the state investigating agency is doing a proper job and that it has already arrested the chairman of Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, and some others in connection with the scam.
The scam came into the open following the closure of a number of media houses run by Saradha Group, one of the major players in the chit fund business.
As lakhs of investors, mostly from the low income group, found they had been cheated, the state government ordered an investigation and the Bidhannagar Police was entrusted with the job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list