Calcutta HC adjourns hearing of chit fund PILs
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Wednesday adjourned till Tuesday hearing of petitions seeking CBI probe into the multi-crore chit fund scam and directed the counsels of Saradha Group and Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh to file affidavits by Monday.
A divison bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed an advocate, who claimed to be appearing for the Saradha Group, to submit wakalatnama from the management of any group company and an affidavit stating its contention with regard to the prayers in the petitions by Monday.
The court also directed a counsel appearing for Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh, whose arrest has been prayed for in some of the public interest litigations (PILs), to submit an affidavit by Monday. The court adjourned the matter till Tuesday when the case would be heard again.
The West Bengal government has opposed a CBI probe into the scam, claiming that the state investigating agency is doing a proper job and that it has already arrested the chairman of Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, and some others in connection with the scam.
The scam came into the open following the closure of a number of media houses run by Saradha Group, one of the major players in the chit fund business.
As lakhs of investors, mostly from the low income group, found they had been cheated, the state government ordered an investigation and the Bidhannagar Police was entrusted with the job.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP