Calcutta HC bans battery powered rickshaws
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court today ordered the district administration in Howrah and Hooghly districts to stop running of battery-operated rickshaws.
Acting on a PIL, Justice Joymalya Bagchi passed an interim order asking the authorities to immediately stop the rickshaws which were running in the last few months without a license.
The court also asked the district magistrates of the two districts and the Regional Transport Office to submit a compliance report to the court within two weeks.
Locally known as `Toto`, the rickshaws, which were eco-friendly and cheap, were operating in the two districts adjoining Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog