Calcutta HC directs expeditious hearing of Kamduni trial
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday directed the lower court where the trial in the gang-rape and murder of a college girl student was being held to complete the hearing as expeditiously as possible.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed the magistrate to complete the trial as early as possible and that no unnecessary adjournments be granted which might cause delay.
Disposing off a PIL in the matter, the bench did not grant the prayer for constituting a special investigation team for probing the gang-rape and murder of the 20-year-old college girl student who was brutalised and killed in broad daylight at Kamduni village of Barasat area in North 24 Parganas on June seven.
The CID is investigating the case.
The court noted that eight of the nine accused have been arrested and charge-sheet has also been submitted and there was no necessity to interfere at this stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event