Calcutta HC directs expeditious hearing of Kamduni trial
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday directed the lower court where the trial in the gang-rape and murder of a college girl student was being held to complete the hearing as expeditiously as possible.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalyo Bagchi directed the magistrate to complete the trial as early as possible and that no unnecessary adjournments be granted which might cause delay.
Disposing off a PIL in the matter, the bench did not grant the prayer for constituting a special investigation team for probing the gang-rape and murder of the 20-year-old college girl student who was brutalised and killed in broad daylight at Kamduni village of Barasat area in North 24 Parganas on June seven.
The CID is investigating the case.
The court noted that eight of the nine accused have been arrested and charge-sheet has also been submitted and there was no necessity to interfere at this stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing