Calcutta HC orders CBI probe into Netai killings
Kolkata: Voicing dissatisfaction with the
CID probe into the Netai firing, the Calcutta High Court on Friday
directed the West Bengal government to hand over to CBI, the
investigation in to the January 7 incident, in which nine
A division bench, comprising Chief Justices J N Patel
and Ashim Kumar Roy, directed the CID to hand over all
documents relating to the investigation as well as the two
accused, who were in its custody, to the central agency.
It also directed the CID to assist the CBI as and when
The bench, which will monitor the investigation, directed
the CBI to furnish a progress report after 15 days when the
matter will come up for hearing again.
Earlier, the bench while allowing the CID to continue the
probe had stated that if it found the CID wanting in course of
investigation, it would keep its option open in handing over
the case to the CBI.
The Calcutta High Court Bar Association, which had moved
a PIL praying for a CBI investigation into the case, claimed
that as the allegations were against the ruling CPI-M, an
impartial inquiry could not be made by a state investigation
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed