Calcutta HC stays recruitment of primary teachers
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Thursday stayed the recruitment process for primary teachers, for which over 50 lakh candidates have applied, after three applicants challenged it alleging procedural glitches.
More than 34,000 posts for primary teachers, which have been vacant for years, are scheduled to be filled up through the process.
Justice Debashish Kar Gupta passed the stay on the process and directed the state education department and the petitioners to file affidavits stating their position before the final hearing three weeks after the Christmas holidays.
Examinations in phases for the recruitment are scheduled to begin in the fourth week of December.
A number of candidates, who have taken primary teachers` training, moved the court claiming the criteria for sitting for the examination has been relaxed contrary to provisions of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE).
Counsel Subrata Mukhopadhyay, appearing for the candidates, submitted that NCTE guidelines provide that trained people are only eligible for being recruited as primary teachers.
The state government had moved the NCTE seeking relaxation of conditions, claiming there were not enough candidates for the huge number of posts to be filled up.
The NCTE had granted relaxation for filling up vacant posts with untrained people if adequate number of trained candidates were not found, he submitted.
Mukhopadhyay submitted that the state government allowing all the candidates, both trained and untrained, to sit for examination together was contrary to the relaxation provided by NCTE and claimed that only after recruitment process for trained teachers were over and if there were still posts vacant, the state could allow recruitment of untrained teachers.
The state counsel claimed there was no violation of norms and the petitions were motivated and not maintainable.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list