Calcutta University gherao lifted after 16 hours
Kolkata: Student`s of Kolkata`s elite Rajabazar Science College Tuesday lifted their 16-hour gherao of vice-chancellor, pro vice-chancellor of Calcutta University over the demand of better on campus placements after assurance from university authorities.
Close on the heels of the gherao of Jadavpur university VC by students for 51-hours, Calcutta University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das, pro-vc (academic) Dhrubajyoti Chatterjee were gheraoed at Raja Bazar Science College campus of the university by B Tech students since yesterday afternoon, sources said.
"They lifted the gherao this morning after more than 16 hours. The gherao started over the demand of better campus placements. When I reached the university at 7 pm they locked me up," Calcutta University VC Suranjan Das told reporters.
"I had told them that the university is a place for study. In this scenario of economic downturn, how can we assure placements. I feel it is a ploy to malign the university," Das said.
The VC said, "There is a placement cell in Raja Bazar Science College. However, there is no placement officer at present but a professor of the college is officiating additionally as the placement officer."
"If the companies reject the candidates then why should the college authorities be blamed," he said.
The students alleged that they have not got placement and the college and university authorities are not taking steps for their placements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II