Campaigning ends for second phase of WB Assembly polls
Kolkata: Campaigning for the second phase
of West Bengal polls, on April 23 in 50 Assembly seats, came to an end Thursday.
Prominent candidates in the fray are Abhijit Mukhkerjee, son of Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee from Nalhati seat, Panchayat minister and CPI(M) leader Anisur Rehman, former High Court Judge Nure Alam
Chowdhury, a Trinamool Congress candidate contesting from
Murarai and Rukbanur Rehman, brother of late computer graphics
teacher Rizwanur Rehman from the Chapra constituency.
Altogether 293 aspirants will vie for 50 seats with
the BJP fielding candidates in all seats, followed by CPI(M)
in 31, Trinamool Congress in 29, BSP in 27 and Congress
The seats in the three districts of Nadia (17),
Birbhum (11) and Murshidabad (22) have an electorate of 9,333,523 and 11,531 polling stations.
Police sources said that 480 companies of central
para-military forces have been deployed in the three
During the campaign Sonia Gandhi, Pranab Mukherjee, Md
Azharuddin addressed rallies for the Congress, while BJP
fielded senior leaders L K Advani and Nitin Gadkari. Mamata
Banerjee campaigned for the Trinamool Congress while CPI(M)
leaders Biman Basu and Gautam Deb addressed election rallies
in the three districts.
Despite suspension of several rebel candidates by the
Congress, at least eight of them are still in the fray in
Murshidabad and Nadia districts.
They are being patronised in Murshidabad by the
district president and MP, Adhir Chowdhury and in Nadia by DCC
president Shankar Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?