Campaigning ends for second phase of WB Assembly polls
Kolkata: Campaigning for the second phase
of West Bengal polls, on April 23 in 50 Assembly seats, came to an end Thursday.
Prominent candidates in the fray are Abhijit Mukhkerjee, son of Union Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee from Nalhati seat, Panchayat minister and CPI(M) leader Anisur Rehman, former High Court Judge Nure Alam
Chowdhury, a Trinamool Congress candidate contesting from
Murarai and Rukbanur Rehman, brother of late computer graphics
teacher Rizwanur Rehman from the Chapra constituency.
Altogether 293 aspirants will vie for 50 seats with
the BJP fielding candidates in all seats, followed by CPI(M)
in 31, Trinamool Congress in 29, BSP in 27 and Congress
The seats in the three districts of Nadia (17),
Birbhum (11) and Murshidabad (22) have an electorate of 9,333,523 and 11,531 polling stations.
Police sources said that 480 companies of central
para-military forces have been deployed in the three
During the campaign Sonia Gandhi, Pranab Mukherjee, Md
Azharuddin addressed rallies for the Congress, while BJP
fielded senior leaders L K Advani and Nitin Gadkari. Mamata
Banerjee campaigned for the Trinamool Congress while CPI(M)
leaders Biman Basu and Gautam Deb addressed election rallies
in the three districts.
Despite suspension of several rebel candidates by the
Congress, at least eight of them are still in the fray in
Murshidabad and Nadia districts.
They are being patronised in Murshidabad by the
district president and MP, Adhir Chowdhury and in Nadia by DCC
president Shankar Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!