Campaigning ends for West Bengal polls
Kolkata: Campaigning for West Bengal`s Assembly elections ended on Sunday as the state geared up for the sixth and final phase of polling Tuesday in the Maoist heartland comprising 14 constituencies spread across three districts.
The final round of polling includes seven seats in West Midnapore, four in Purulia and three in Bankura.
In the fray are 97 candidates, including Minister for Western Region Development Sushanta Ghosh and former backward classes welfare minister Upen Kisku.
Chhatradhar Mahato, convener of the People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA), a pro-Maoist tribal outfit, is contesting as an independent candidate from Jhargram constituency in West Midnapore.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) is contesting 11 seats, Communist Party of India (CPI) one, Forward Bloc two, Trinamool Congress nine, Congress four and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) 14.
Total number of eligible voters for the sixth phase of elections is 265,5229.
Polling for the 294-member assembly, which started April 18, will end Tuesday.
The votes will be counted May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets