Caning of La Martiniere student ‘callous’
New Delhi: Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has termed as "callous" caning of a 13-year-old student of a leading school in Kolkata by its principal, allegedly driving the youth to commit suicide.
"I`m deeply disturbed.....In the 21st century, we are moving towards a culture of tolerance where children are our precious assets. They are the future of the country....We cannot treat our children in this callous fashion", Sibal said.
Speaking to a private TV news channel, Sibal stated that corporal punishment is prohibited under the Right to Education Act.
He said the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which is probing the caning of Rouvanjit Rawla, would come out with its report soon and "I`m sure that some action will be taken".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad