Caning of La Martiniere student ‘callous’
New Delhi: Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has termed as "callous" caning of a 13-year-old student of a leading school in Kolkata by its principal, allegedly driving the youth to commit suicide.
"I`m deeply disturbed.....In the 21st century, we are moving towards a culture of tolerance where children are our precious assets. They are the future of the country....We cannot treat our children in this callous fashion", Sibal said.
Speaking to a private TV news channel, Sibal stated that corporal punishment is prohibited under the Right to Education Act.
He said the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which is probing the caning of Rouvanjit Rawla, would come out with its report soon and "I`m sure that some action will be taken".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Each passing year is a reward for me, says Amitabh Bachchan on his 73rd birthday
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off