Caning of La Martiniere student ‘callous’
New Delhi: Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has termed as "callous" caning of a 13-year-old student of a leading school in Kolkata by its principal, allegedly driving the youth to commit suicide.
"I`m deeply disturbed.....In the 21st century, we are moving towards a culture of tolerance where children are our precious assets. They are the future of the country....We cannot treat our children in this callous fashion", Sibal said.
Speaking to a private TV news channel, Sibal stated that corporal punishment is prohibited under the Right to Education Act.
He said the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which is probing the caning of Rouvanjit Rawla, would come out with its report soon and "I`m sure that some action will be taken".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog