Cartoons are integral part of democracy: Trivedi
Kolkata: Reacting to the arrest of a Jadavpur University professor in Kolkata for posting a cartoon of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on the Internet, former railways minister Dinesh Trivedi on Saturday said cartoons are integral to democracy.
Trivedi, who had to quit the Union Cabinet after he fell afoul of Banerjee for increasing train fare in rail budget and had to eventually resign on her directive, said here "I feel cartoons are integral part of healthy democracy”.
If a person is "standing on one`s feet", he or she should not be perturbed by cartoons, Trivedi said, speaking in Gujarati.
The cartoon features Trivedi besides Mamata and Trivedi`s successor as Railway Minister Mukul Roy.
"Cartoons cannot destroy your image. It is the people who make your image and it is they who destroy it," Trivedi said.
Trivedi visited Kutch, his ancestral town, on Saturday.
West Bengal police on Friday arrested Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra of Jadavpur University for posting a cartoon of Banerjee on a popular social networking site.
The cartoon showed the Chief Minister and the Railway Minister Mukul Roy exchanging dialogues from "Sonar Kella" a popular Bengali film by Satyajit Ray, alluding to the replacement of Trivedi by Roy.
"Only thing is a cartoon should be healthy and it should not be in bad culture," Trivedi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP