CBI arrests excise officer on bribery charges
New Delhi: CBI has arrested a central excise superintendent in Kolkata for allegedly taking Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from a resort manager for not imposing penalty on service tax payable by him.
A case under Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against Dippandu Chowdhary, Superintendent of Central Excise (Anti Evasion), Haldia Commissionerate, on a complaint that he was demanding illegal gratification from the manager of a resort based at Port Blair for not imposing penalty on the service tax payable by him, a CBI press release said today.
On the basis of the complaint, CBI laid a trap and Chowdhary was caught accepting Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from the complainant, it said.
During search at his residence, Rs 1.17 lakh cash, fixed deposits and other investments aggregating Rs 75 lakh, bank balance of Rs 30 lakh in 14 accounts and documents pertaining to immovable properties worth Rs 80 lakh were found, officials said.
Chowdhary was produced before a designated court in Kolkata which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars