CBI arrests excise officer on bribery charges
New Delhi: CBI has arrested a central excise superintendent in Kolkata for allegedly taking Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from a resort manager for not imposing penalty on service tax payable by him.
A case under Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against Dippandu Chowdhary, Superintendent of Central Excise (Anti Evasion), Haldia Commissionerate, on a complaint that he was demanding illegal gratification from the manager of a resort based at Port Blair for not imposing penalty on the service tax payable by him, a CBI press release said today.
On the basis of the complaint, CBI laid a trap and Chowdhary was caught accepting Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from the complainant, it said.
During search at his residence, Rs 1.17 lakh cash, fixed deposits and other investments aggregating Rs 75 lakh, bank balance of Rs 30 lakh in 14 accounts and documents pertaining to immovable properties worth Rs 80 lakh were found, officials said.
Chowdhary was produced before a designated court in Kolkata which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh