CBI arrests excise officer on bribery charges
New Delhi: CBI has arrested a central excise superintendent in Kolkata for allegedly taking Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from a resort manager for not imposing penalty on service tax payable by him.
A case under Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against Dippandu Chowdhary, Superintendent of Central Excise (Anti Evasion), Haldia Commissionerate, on a complaint that he was demanding illegal gratification from the manager of a resort based at Port Blair for not imposing penalty on the service tax payable by him, a CBI press release said today.
On the basis of the complaint, CBI laid a trap and Chowdhary was caught accepting Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from the complainant, it said.
During search at his residence, Rs 1.17 lakh cash, fixed deposits and other investments aggregating Rs 75 lakh, bank balance of Rs 30 lakh in 14 accounts and documents pertaining to immovable properties worth Rs 80 lakh were found, officials said.
Chowdhary was produced before a designated court in Kolkata which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!