CBI arrests excise officer on bribery charges
New Delhi: CBI has arrested a central excise superintendent in Kolkata for allegedly taking Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from a resort manager for not imposing penalty on service tax payable by him.
A case under Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against Dippandu Chowdhary, Superintendent of Central Excise (Anti Evasion), Haldia Commissionerate, on a complaint that he was demanding illegal gratification from the manager of a resort based at Port Blair for not imposing penalty on the service tax payable by him, a CBI press release said today.
On the basis of the complaint, CBI laid a trap and Chowdhary was caught accepting Rs 3.5 lakh bribe from the complainant, it said.
During search at his residence, Rs 1.17 lakh cash, fixed deposits and other investments aggregating Rs 75 lakh, bank balance of Rs 30 lakh in 14 accounts and documents pertaining to immovable properties worth Rs 80 lakh were found, officials said.
Chowdhary was produced before a designated court in Kolkata which remanded him in 14-day judicial custody.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'