CBI custody of Saradha accused Sarkar extended by three days
Kolkata: A city court on Tuesday sent top East Bengal Club official Debabrata Sarkar, an accused in the Saradha chit fund scam, to further three days' CBI custody while it remanded main accused Sudipto Sen to judicial custody till September eight.
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) Alipore Court sent Sarkar, who was arrested on August 20, to CBI custody for three more days following his six-day remand on a plea by the agency for further questioning.
Sudipto Sen, who had also been taken in custody by CBI for the second time for further questioning, was remanded to judicial custody till September eight.
Five others, who are also accused in the Saradha scam and were in judicial custody, had their judicial remand extended till September eight.
They are suspended Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha MP Kunal Ghosh, Sen's close associate Debjani Mukherjee, senior Saradha Group officials Somnath Dutta, Arvind Chowhan and Manoj Negel.
The CBI, on the directions of the Supreme Court, began its probe into the scam in which it has registered a number of cases in West Bengal and Odisha.
Sarkar is accused of conspiring with Saradha top brass in the alleged misappropriation of funds of the company.
The CBI has formed a Special Investigating Team (SIT) headed by Joint Director Rajeev Singh to also probe the role of Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and RBI.
"Investigation conducted so far puts a question mark on the role of regulatory authorities like SEBI, Registrar of Companies and officials of RBI within whose respective jurisdictions and areas of operation the scam not only took birth but flourished unhindered," an apex court bench headed by Justice TS Thakur had said in its order.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar