CBI Director to journos: Be whistle blowers of corruption cases
Kolkata: Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Aswani Kumar on Saturday urged media professionals to be whistle blowers in incidents of corruption.
Inaugurating a four-day training module for correspondents jointly organised by the Press Information Bureau (PIB) and the CBI, Kumar said: “I would even urge you to become whistle blower and come forward to report incidents of corruption that might have come to your notice.”
“Your (media professionals) honesty and alertness can defeat corrupt forces," he added.
Kumar said a united fight by governments, elected bodies, judiciary and press would defeat corruption.
“I would like to draw upon your strength as sentinels of social cause and Press Freedom. In our fight against corruption, we are not alone, the government, parliament, judiciary and press are with us,” he said.
Kumar emphasized that as the CBI cases are legal in nature, which come under the scrutiny of law and therefore, correspondents should be alert while reporting cases.
"Popular perception may lead us astray and in the process truth is guillotined,” Kumar said.
He also advised that correspondents should avoid trial by the Media as every accused is presumed to be innocent unless proved guilty by the court and said the trial by media may affect the perception of judiciary about the accused.
Kumar suggested that it would be in the best interest of Media if they developed guidelines for themselves for self-regulation.
The four day training module for correspondents covering CBI, is very comprehensive as it introduces whole gamut of CBI working to the correspondents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know