Kolkata: The CBI on Tuesday registered a case in
the Netai firing incident in which nine persons were killed
last month, after the Calcutta High Court directed the state
government to handover the case to the agency.
The CBI will take over the investigation from the CID
and local police and would submit its progress report to the
high court every fortnight as per the directions of a division
bench comprising Chief Justice JN Patel and Justice Asim
Kumar Roy, official sources said.
The division bench had ordered the CID to hand over the
papers of the case and the two accused in its custody to the
The court had also directed the CBI to furnish a
progress report before it every fortnight when the matter
comes up for hearing again.
Lalgarh, where Netai village is situated, was a Maoist
hotbed, but has lately been reclaimed by CPI-M which has
allegedly set up several armed camps there.
Nine villagers, including three women, were killed in
indiscriminate firing from a house allegedly belonging to a
local CPI-M leader Rathin Dandapat at Netai in West Midnapore
district on January 7.
It has been alleged that armed CPI-M cadres had set up a
camp in the two-storeyed house and had been threatening and
browbeating the villagers into participating in armed
Six CPI-M workers and leaders, including Lalgarh local
committee secretary were named in the FIR and the CID had
announced a reward for the information about them.
Two persons, Aswini Chalak and Abani Singh, were
arrested just a day before the last day`s hearing into the
case earlier this week.
The CBI will start probe on the basis of FIR filed by
the CID and local police, the sources said.