CBI should now return money to duped Saradha depositors: Mamata
Kolkata: Hours after the Supreme Court ordered a CBI probe into the Saradha chit fund scam, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday said the agency should now take the responsibility of returning the money to the duped investors in the company.
Addressing an election rally in Baharampur of Murshidabad district, Banerjee warned that if the Saradha victims were not compensated fully, they would go to the BJP, CPI-M and the Congress to seek return of their money.
The state government, which till the last strongly opposed pleas to hand over the Saradha probe to the federal investigative agency amid allegations that several leaders of the ruling Trinamool had links with the scandal, has claimed that it has already fully refunded four lakh people who had lost their money by depositing it in the Saradha group companies.
"It is no more my responsibility now. Now the CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) should return the money. If that does not happen, people will go to the homes of those of the BJP, Congress and the CPI-M asking for their money. I will wait for that day," she said.
Claiming she was "very happy", Banerjee responded to criticism that her government had blocked the plea to hand over the investigation to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
"If you ask me, why didn`t you want, I will tell you why should I? It is my state, if I am to do a job, why should I engage others?"
Banerjee lauded the Special Investigation Team set up by her government to look into the multi-crore scam, after it broke out last year when the Saradha group downed shutters duping lakhs of depositors - mostly poor people in small towns and villages - who had parked their life`s savings in the company`s schemes lured by the promise of huge returns.
"Investigation - very good. Everybody appreciated," she said. Refering to the Supreme Court assertion that the investigation by the West Bengal Police did not make any headway in inter-state ramification of the scam, she said "the state government does not have responsibility of other states".
On the Supreme Court referring to the international ramifications of the scam, Banerjee said that "the international point is absolutely valid. It is a case of money laundering".
She latched on to the Supreme Court`s criticism of the Reserve Bank of India and the Securities and Exchange Board of India for "keeping their eyes shut" when the scam was taking place.
"So, people were telling lies. It is the responsibility of SEBI, Reserve Bank, who did not perform their duty. I want their faces to be blackened. We are now out of it."
Banerjee said her government was "safe", and was not bothered about the CBI probe.
"I am totally safe. My government is safe. Why should we be bothered?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm