Central trade unions protest against price rise
Kolkata: As part of their countrywide `Jail
Bharo` stir, a large number of central trade union activists
courted arrest here on Tuesday while protesting against price rise
and the Centre`s alleged anti-worker policies.
According to police, a total of 2136 members of different
central trade unions and federations courted arrest while
holding protests against price rise, pension issue, contract
system, retrenchment and several other "anti-worker" policies
implemented by the Centre.
Those who courted arrest included, among others, CITU
state President Shyamal Chakraborty, CPI(M) leaders Amitava
Nandi, Rupchand Paul and Kanti Ganguly, CPI leader Ranjit Guha
and Forward Bloc leader Saral Deb, police said.
The arrested were later released on personal bonds.
The trade unions which participated in the programme
included CITU, AITUC, UTUC, TUCC, BMS, HMS and INTUC.
The rally was part of the countrywide agitation called by
11 trade unions today for implementation of the declaration
adopted at the national convention of the workers on September
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read