Centre not helping Bengal at all: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused the Centre of not helping her government at all to overcome its financial crisis.
"The biggest hurdle being faced by us is that the UPA government, which we are supporting, has not at all helped us though we have been repeatedly telling them for the last one year and despite giving a commitment before the assembly elections," Banerjee told PTI at the Writers Building, the state secretariat, here.
"We are waiting ... Eagerly waiting to get a reply from the Centre," Banerjee who had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on May four and sought a three-year moratorium on central loan interest repayment, said.
While accusing the Centre of not helping her government financially, she said "the Centre directly or indirectly helped the previous Left Front government a lot. I am not against that. You can help all state governments.
"But why did they allow the Left Front government to borrow funds? Without their permission, they could not have done so. It is their (Centre`s) fault also," she said.
Questioning why the Centre did not force the ersthwhile LF government to introduce Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management, the chief minister said "at that time you did not raise this (FRBM) issue.
"We are annually paying interest of Rs 21,000 crore while our income is Rs 22,000 crore," she said.
West Bengal has a debt burden of over Rs 2 lakh crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'