Centre permits deployment of CRPF at Mamata`s Lalgarh rally
Kolkata: The Centre has given permission
to the West Bengal government to deploy the CRPF to provide
security during the August 9 Trinamool Congress rally at
Lalgarh in West Midnapore district.
The West Bengal government had sought the Centre`s
permission for deploying the CRPF during the rally and
permission has been given, IGP (Law and Order) Surajit Kar
Purkayastha told reporters here today.
Director, Security, A K Maliwal had visited Lalgarh
yesterday to assess the situation there, he said.
Members of the Maoist-backed People`s Committee
against Police Atrocities (PCPA) could participate as it was
not a banned organisation, but those wanted by the police
would be arrested if they turned up at the rally, he said.
The police would be deployed along with CRPF at the
rally, but the number of policemen posted would be decided by
the West Midnapore district administration and IGP (Western
range) Zulfikar Hasan, he said.
Stating that there would be snap and random checks, he
said that for security reasons the organisers would be asked
to coordinate with the police to ensure that access to the
dais was controlled.
Chief Secretary Ardhendu Sen said that Governor
M K Narayanan had sought to know from the state government
about the security arrangements.
"We will send a report to him," he said.
Banerjee who had on July 21 announced that the rally
would be organised by her party, subsequently declared that it
would be an apolitical programme to be convened under the
banner of the `Santras Birodhi Committee` (Anti-terror
PCPA as well as top Maoist leader Kishenji have
extended support to the rally welcoming the Trinamool Congress
chief`s initiative to stop violence.
WBPCC president Manas Bhunia had said yesterday that
there should not be any controversy over PCPA attending the
rally since it was not a banned outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari
- Muslims have always been a part of America: Obama