Centre should allow states to collect central taxes: Mamata
Kolkata: Upping the ante against the UPA government after failing to clinch a three-year moratorium on interest payment on central loans, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said the Centre should allow states to collect central taxes and use them for governance.
"I think the Centre should allow a state to collect central taxes and govern the state on the basis of that," she told a convention of the Trinamool Congress`s student and youth wings at the Netaji Indoor stadium here.
Banerjee said the Centre collects Rs 40,000 crore in taxes from the state annually and gives back only Rs 19,000 crore, which is just 2.5 per cent. The states overall get 32 per cent of the taxes collected by the Centre.
The Centre had allowed the previous Left Front government to take loans rampantly which led to a mounting debt over Rs 2.3 lakh crore which we inherited when we came to power, she said.
"There could be more debts because now we are coming across cases where CPI(M) leaders had taken loans to buy buses from the state co-operative bank, but had not repaid," she said, pointing, that the Centre did not stop the previous government from taking loans indiscriminately, but it stopped the present government.
"Our annual revenue is Rs 21,000 crore while we have to pay annual interest of Rs 26,000 crore. How will we work then? How do we manage the rural development works unless there is money? Would we go for theft and dacoity"? she said.
She said the Centre would go announcing many sops in the coming budget for the masses, but it would hardly implement them as the election would be approaching.
Banerjee said in the coming Lok Sabha election too the CPI(M), Congress and BJP would unite against Trinamool Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark