Centre to work for Gorkhaland Hill Council: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Monday said the Centre will work with constructive spirit
to find a viable solution to outstanding issues related to the
Gorkhaland Darjeeling Hill Council.
"Whatever issues are outstanding, the House has my
assurance, we will work with the same constructive spirit to
find a pragmatic, practical and viable solution," he said in
the Lok Sabha.
Speaking on the motion of thanks to the President`s
address to Parliament, Singh noted that the Centre had worked
with sincerity to find an amicable solution to the "difficult
problem" of Gorkhaland.
The matter was raised during the debate by Darjeeling MP
and BJP leader Jaswant Singh.
The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Act to
set up the GTA for the Darjeeling Hills takes effect on March
The GTA Bill got Presidential assent on March 7, paving
the way for setting up of the GTA and holding of elections in
It was passed in West Bengal Assembly in September last
year, accommodating most changes sought by the Gorkha
Through 54 amendments, the GTA Bill had tried to ensure
that the legislation was in accordance with the tripartite
agreement and the Hills body got more autonomy than the
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC), which it will
The preamble to the Bill says it will provide for
establishment of a Gorkhaland Territorial Administration for
the region comprising the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling,
Kalimpong, Kurseong and some areas of Siliguri sub-division
in Darjeeling district. The objective was to establish an
autonomous self-governing body to administer the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday