Centre to work for Gorkhaland Hill Council: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Monday said the Centre will work with constructive spirit
to find a viable solution to outstanding issues related to the
Gorkhaland Darjeeling Hill Council.
"Whatever issues are outstanding, the House has my
assurance, we will work with the same constructive spirit to
find a pragmatic, practical and viable solution," he said in
the Lok Sabha.
Speaking on the motion of thanks to the President`s
address to Parliament, Singh noted that the Centre had worked
with sincerity to find an amicable solution to the "difficult
problem" of Gorkhaland.
The matter was raised during the debate by Darjeeling MP
and BJP leader Jaswant Singh.
The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Act to
set up the GTA for the Darjeeling Hills takes effect on March
The GTA Bill got Presidential assent on March 7, paving
the way for setting up of the GTA and holding of elections in
It was passed in West Bengal Assembly in September last
year, accommodating most changes sought by the Gorkha
Through 54 amendments, the GTA Bill had tried to ensure
that the legislation was in accordance with the tripartite
agreement and the Hills body got more autonomy than the
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC), which it will
The preamble to the Bill says it will provide for
establishment of a Gorkhaland Territorial Administration for
the region comprising the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling,
Kalimpong, Kurseong and some areas of Siliguri sub-division
in Darjeeling district. The objective was to establish an
autonomous self-governing body to administer the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details