Centre to work for Gorkhaland Hill Council: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
on Monday said the Centre will work with constructive spirit
to find a viable solution to outstanding issues related to the
Gorkhaland Darjeeling Hill Council.
"Whatever issues are outstanding, the House has my
assurance, we will work with the same constructive spirit to
find a pragmatic, practical and viable solution," he said in
the Lok Sabha.
Speaking on the motion of thanks to the President`s
address to Parliament, Singh noted that the Centre had worked
with sincerity to find an amicable solution to the "difficult
problem" of Gorkhaland.
The matter was raised during the debate by Darjeeling MP
and BJP leader Jaswant Singh.
The Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Act to
set up the GTA for the Darjeeling Hills takes effect on March
The GTA Bill got Presidential assent on March 7, paving
the way for setting up of the GTA and holding of elections in
It was passed in West Bengal Assembly in September last
year, accommodating most changes sought by the Gorkha
Through 54 amendments, the GTA Bill had tried to ensure
that the legislation was in accordance with the tripartite
agreement and the Hills body got more autonomy than the
Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC), which it will
The preamble to the Bill says it will provide for
establishment of a Gorkhaland Territorial Administration for
the region comprising the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling,
Kalimpong, Kurseong and some areas of Siliguri sub-division
in Darjeeling district. The objective was to establish an
autonomous self-governing body to administer the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India