Centre`s nod to Rs 5,660 cr flood management project in WB
New Delhi: The Centre has approved two major flood management projects for West Bengal, including one in the Sundarbans, at a total estimated cost of over Rs 5,660 crore.
A delegation of legislators of all major parties from the state, barring the Trinamool Congress, was informed about this when they met Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal here today.
After the meeting, state Irrigation Minister Subhas Naskar and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Sailen Sarkar told reporters that techno-economic clearance was yesterday given by the Centre for reconstruction of 778 km embankments in Sundarbans area, which were washed away or seriously damaged by the May 2009 Aila cyclone.
The estimated cost of this project, which now has to be approved by the Planning Commission and an empowered committee of the Finance Ministry, would be Rs 5,032 crore.
Techno-economic feasibility clearance was also granted to the Keleghai-Kapaleswari-Baghai drainage basin at an estimated cost of Rs 630 crore.
"We hope the Centre and the Planning Commission would now expedite the process of release of funds for these projects
and work will start soon," Naskar said.
He said the delegation was informed that the Centre was conducting talks with Bangladesh on the problem of floods and siltation in water reservoirs along the Indo-Bangla border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Donald Trump says EU formed 'to beat US at making money'
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati