Centre`s nod to Rs 5,660 cr flood management project in WB
New Delhi: The Centre has approved two major flood management projects for West Bengal, including one in the Sundarbans, at a total estimated cost of over Rs 5,660 crore.
A delegation of legislators of all major parties from the state, barring the Trinamool Congress, was informed about this when they met Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal here today.
After the meeting, state Irrigation Minister Subhas Naskar and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Sailen Sarkar told reporters that techno-economic clearance was yesterday given by the Centre for reconstruction of 778 km embankments in Sundarbans area, which were washed away or seriously damaged by the May 2009 Aila cyclone.
The estimated cost of this project, which now has to be approved by the Planning Commission and an empowered committee of the Finance Ministry, would be Rs 5,032 crore.
Techno-economic feasibility clearance was also granted to the Keleghai-Kapaleswari-Baghai drainage basin at an estimated cost of Rs 630 crore.
"We hope the Centre and the Planning Commission would now expedite the process of release of funds for these projects
and work will start soon," Naskar said.
He said the delegation was informed that the Centre was conducting talks with Bangladesh on the problem of floods and siltation in water reservoirs along the Indo-Bangla border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins