Centuries-old mysterious iron chests finally opened, reveal junk
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Kolkata: The high-drama surrounding the centuries-old mysterious iron chests came to an end on Monday after authorities opened them to reveal the contents after a long wait of six years.
However, people were in for disappointment after the chests opened to reportedly reveal some needles, spear-like items and keys instead of ancient gold and jewellery people thought it would contain.
The items do not hold any historical value.
The iron chests were reportedly opened with the help of fire brigade officials by electric cutters and hours of efforts by the administration.
The three iron chests, likely to be over three centuries old and weighing around 1,000 kg each, were discovered in 2008 after a woman in her `60s sold her plot in south Kolkata.
When the digging for the construction of a shoe company started, the chests were found buried underneath the premises.
While the iron chests were kept at the Gariahat Police Station, the former woman owner and the shoe company went to court to battle the right to ownership.
The order to open the chests was then passed by Alipore court in December last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar