Centuries-old mysterious iron chests finally opened, reveal junk
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Kolkata: The high-drama surrounding the centuries-old mysterious iron chests came to an end on Monday after authorities opened them to reveal the contents after a long wait of six years.
However, people were in for disappointment after the chests opened to reportedly reveal some needles, spear-like items and keys instead of ancient gold and jewellery people thought it would contain.
The items do not hold any historical value.
The iron chests were reportedly opened with the help of fire brigade officials by electric cutters and hours of efforts by the administration.
The three iron chests, likely to be over three centuries old and weighing around 1,000 kg each, were discovered in 2008 after a woman in her `60s sold her plot in south Kolkata.
When the digging for the construction of a shoe company started, the chests were found buried underneath the premises.
While the iron chests were kept at the Gariahat Police Station, the former woman owner and the shoe company went to court to battle the right to ownership.
The order to open the chests was then passed by Alipore court in December last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!