CEO sends the details of Basu to the Election Commission
Kolkata: West Bengal CEO office on Saturday
sent to the Election Commission Opposition Leader Partho
Chatterjee`s complaint accusing CPI(M) leader Anil Basu of
using expletives against Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee at an election meeting.
"We have sent the complaint of Chatterjee and a CD
with our observation," Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta
told reporters here.
Asked about the demand in the complaint, Gupta said
that Basu had violated the Model Code of Conduct and should be
Asked about the possibility of Basu`s arrest, he said,
"We have sent the complaint to the Election Commission with
our observation and now we will do what the Commission
Earlier, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb
Bhattacharjee censured Basu for using abusive language and
asked him to be cautious in the future.
Expressing displeasure over the use of such language
by Basu at Arambagh yesterday, Bhattacharjee said in a
statement "use of such words is unpardonable and unbecoming of
a communist leader."
The chief minister said he had asked the party to warn
Gupta said that the Commission did not find any basis
in the complaint against CPI(M) MP Ramchandra Dom who
allegedly distributed money at Choricha under Sainthia
assembly constituency in Birbhum district yesterday.
"Just after the complaint, the police and our flying
squad reached the spot and searched the entire house where he
was gheraoed by the local people, but no money was recovered
from the spot," Gupta said.
"Dom, who was meeting party workers in the house, was
rescued by the police," Gupta said.
"We have also received the report of the district
magistrate which does not substantiate the allegation," Gupta
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister