Chargesheet filed against CPI(M)’s Lakshman Seth
Haldia (WB): The CID on Monday filed
chargesheet against 85 persons, including former CPI(M) MP
Lakshman Seth, for alleged involvement in the death of six
persons and seven others going missing during the Nandigram
The CID filed the chargesheet before the Haldia
sub-division court in East Midnapore district naming Seth, a
former CPI(M) heavyweight in the area, and several other local
CPI(M) leaders in Nandigram and adjoining Khejuri blocks
among the 85 accused.
They have been accused of abduction and murder in
connection with an attack on a peace rally by Bhumi Uchhed
Pratirodh Committee (BUPC) on November 10, 2007.
The rally from Maheshpur village in Nandigram was
attacked by armed goons during which six persons had died and
seven persons went missing, while several others were injured.
A CID probe was ordered and the investigating agency
submitted the chargesheet today.
The BUPC, an anti-land acquisition committee, had
launched the movement in January, 2007 against land
acquisition in Nandigram by the former Left Front government
for setting up a chemical hub and an SEZ, which finally forced
the then chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee to abandon the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra