Chargesheet filed against CPI(M)’s Lakshman Seth
Haldia (WB): The CID on Monday filed
chargesheet against 85 persons, including former CPI(M) MP
Lakshman Seth, for alleged involvement in the death of six
persons and seven others going missing during the Nandigram
The CID filed the chargesheet before the Haldia
sub-division court in East Midnapore district naming Seth, a
former CPI(M) heavyweight in the area, and several other local
CPI(M) leaders in Nandigram and adjoining Khejuri blocks
among the 85 accused.
They have been accused of abduction and murder in
connection with an attack on a peace rally by Bhumi Uchhed
Pratirodh Committee (BUPC) on November 10, 2007.
The rally from Maheshpur village in Nandigram was
attacked by armed goons during which six persons had died and
seven persons went missing, while several others were injured.
A CID probe was ordered and the investigating agency
submitted the chargesheet today.
The BUPC, an anti-land acquisition committee, had
launched the movement in January, 2007 against land
acquisition in Nandigram by the former Left Front government
for setting up a chemical hub and an SEZ, which finally forced
the then chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee to abandon the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy