Chemical solution used on patient: Probe committee
Baharampur: Authorities on Thursday decided to
exhume the body of a baby who was still born at a hospital in
Murshidabad after an inquiry committee found that the child`s
mother was cleaned with a chemical substance after delivery.
After the incident came to light, authorities last night
suspended the supervising nurse of the labour room on charges
of "negligence" and the district administration ordered
exhumation of the still-born baby`s body for post mortem.
The three-member inquiry committee formed yesterday
after the incident, concluded that a chemical substance was
used to clean Sikha Bibi`s body and ordered a chemical
analysis to find out the nature of it, the district`s acting
chief medical officer (health) Virendra Prasad Shaw said.
Sikha Bibi, who gave birth to a still-born baby at the
Lalbagh sub-divisional hospital, said she felt a burning
sensation in her waist and legs when the substance was applied
to her body at Lalbag sub-divisional hospital on Monday.
Sikha`s husband Jinnat Sk and other relatives lodged
complaints that they found some black spots on the body of the
baby and suspected them to be the result of acidic reaction.
The district administration ordered exhumation of the
baby`s body to send it for post mortem in view of the family`s
Meanwhile, hospital sources said that an inquiry had
been on to fix responsibility on the errant persons and hinted
that some heads might roll.
The acting CMO(H) yesterday said muriatic acid was used
on the patient by mistake instead of antiseptic solution. He
also said that the colour of both solutions was similar
resulting in confusion.
Sources said that Sikha was recovering from burns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report