Chhatradhar Mahato`s police remand extended by 3 days
Jhargram (WB): The police custody of arrested
tribal leader Chatradhar Mahato was on Wednesday extended till
October 10 by a West Midnapore court.
The Assistant Chief Judicial Magistrate(acting), Vishal
Marganti, remanded Mahato to three more days in police
custody. The police were ordered to produce him on October 10.
Mahato, who was arrested on September 26 near Lalgarh,
where he had been leading an agitation against alleged police
excesses since last November, was brought to the court amid
Mahato, Convenor of the People`s Committee against Police
Atrocities, who had evaded the police ever since he started
the anti-police stir in Lalgarh in West Midnapore district
last year, was caught at Birka, near Lalgarh while he was
giving an interview to a journalist who was followed by
policemen posing as TV journalists.
He has been booked under the stringent Unlawful
Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code.
Meanwhile, four followers of Chhatradhar Mahato, were
detained by the joint forces for trying to set ablaze a
lorry at Pidrakuli under Salboni police station in West
Midnapur district, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh