Children deaths: Authorities say situation normal
Kolkata: Authorities at BC Roy Children`s
Hospital, which has been in news for a series of crib deaths
in the last few days, on Saturday said the situation was normal even
as there were unconfirmed reports about the death of one more
"The situation is normal at the hospital, but we will
not be able to provide any data," hospital superintendent D
Pal said when asked if any fresh infant death was reported.
After 17 babies died at the hospital since last Tuesday,
the authorities have decided not to speak to the media.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who holds the Health
Department, also declined an answer and asked that Health
Secretary Sanjay Mitra be contacted.
Mitra, on his part said, "The situation at the hospital is
absolutely normal, but one or two infant deaths on an average
is a daily occurrence."
The state government has already given a clean chit to
the hospital with an internal inquiry citing overcrowding and
the moribund condition of the babies admitted.
The hospital superintendent said that out of 300 infant
patients admitted, on an average there were five to six deaths
daily which was not "unusual".
He said there were many fresh cases of septicemia,
meningitis and other diseases among infants admitted "which
pose a serious challenge to doctors."
A report from Burdwan said that there was no fresh infant
death at the Burdwan Medical College and Hospital where 13
newborns have died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere