Chit-fund duped farm labourer attempts suicide in WB
Jalpaiguri (WB): A daily wage farm labourer on Monday allegedly attempted to commit suicide after losing money in Saradha chit-fund scam.
Sixteen-year-old Sahanur Rahman tried to end his life by drinking pesticide this morning at his home near here, the police said.
He had invested Rs 75,000 with Saradha chitfund group after being lured by a promise of higher returns, sources said.
He was in depression since the chit fund company collapsed nearly a month ago. He had borrowed a lot of money and hoped to clear them once his investments matured, police said.
He has been admitted to Jalpaiguri Sadar hospital in a serious condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details