Chit-fund issue: WB govt to consult with Centre on ordinance
Kolkata: The West Bengal government would consult with the Central government about bringing in an ordinance to take over the property of Saradha Group, which has closed shop failing to repay the depositors money, Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy said on Sunday.
"A lot of things are being said about the property (of Saradha Group). The state government after consulting the Union government can bring in an ordinance to take over the property of the group," Roy said.
Whosoever is found guilty in this case would be booked and punished, he said.
To a question, Roy claimed the chit fund issue would not have any impact on the prospects of Trinamool Congress in the panchayat elections which is under litigation.
Roy said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee would hold a meeting tomorrow to discuss the course of action on the chit fund issue.
After the chit fund company went bust, the state government ordered the arrest of its chairman and managing director Sudipta Sen, who is absconding.
Hundreds of depositors had laid siege to Banerjee`s residence on Friday demanding return of the money invested with the group. Protests were also reported from other districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi