Chit fund scam: Duped farm labourer attempts suicide
Jalpaiguri (WB): A daily wage farm labourer on Monday allegedly attempted to commit suicide after losing money in Saradha chitfund scam.
Sixteen-year-old Sahanur Rahman tried to end his life by drinking pesticide this morning at his home near here, the police said.
He had invested Rs 75,000 with Saradha chit fund group after being lured by a promise of higher returns, sources said.
He was in depression since the chit fund company collapsed nearly a month ago. He had borrowed a lot of money and hoped to clear them once his investments matured, police said.
He has been admitted to Jalpaiguri Sadar hospital in a serious condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!