Chit fund scam: HC defers hearing on CBI probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing of pleas, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the Saradha chit fund scam. The hearing was deferred by the court till Wednesday as four petitions had been filed seeking a probe by the agency.
The court will hear two public interest litigations (PIL) into the scam that has duped lakhs of small investors.
Earlier, the West Bengal government had filed an affidavit in the court after it was asked to submit one. The High Court has now asked the government to file a supplementary affidavit with regard to the new PILs.
The issue of transferring the probe to the CBI has become a bone of contention in the state, as the government is against the move while the opposition has been pressing for an investigation by the agency.
The director of the Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, is currently under police custody. The company had collapsed in April. Two directors of the group are also under police custody.
With Agency inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma