Chit fund scam: HC defers hearing on CBI probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing of pleas, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the Saradha chit fund scam. The hearing was deferred by the court till Wednesday as four petitions had been filed seeking a probe by the agency.
The court will hear two public interest litigations (PIL) into the scam that has duped lakhs of small investors.
Earlier, the West Bengal government had filed an affidavit in the court after it was asked to submit one. The High Court has now asked the government to file a supplementary affidavit with regard to the new PILs.
The issue of transferring the probe to the CBI has become a bone of contention in the state, as the government is against the move while the opposition has been pressing for an investigation by the agency.
The director of the Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, is currently under police custody. The company had collapsed in April. Two directors of the group are also under police custody.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH