Chit fund scam: HC defers hearing on CBI probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing of pleas, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the Saradha chit fund scam. The hearing was deferred by the court till Wednesday as four petitions had been filed seeking a probe by the agency.
The court will hear two public interest litigations (PIL) into the scam that has duped lakhs of small investors.
Earlier, the West Bengal government had filed an affidavit in the court after it was asked to submit one. The High Court has now asked the government to file a supplementary affidavit with regard to the new PILs.
The issue of transferring the probe to the CBI has become a bone of contention in the state, as the government is against the move while the opposition has been pressing for an investigation by the agency.
The director of the Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, is currently under police custody. The company had collapsed in April. Two directors of the group are also under police custody.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"