Chit fund scam: HC defers hearing on CBI probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing of pleas, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the Saradha chit fund scam. The hearing was deferred by the court till Wednesday as four petitions had been filed seeking a probe by the agency.
The court will hear two public interest litigations (PIL) into the scam that has duped lakhs of small investors.
Earlier, the West Bengal government had filed an affidavit in the court after it was asked to submit one. The High Court has now asked the government to file a supplementary affidavit with regard to the new PILs.
The issue of transferring the probe to the CBI has become a bone of contention in the state, as the government is against the move while the opposition has been pressing for an investigation by the agency.
The director of the Saradha Group, Sudipta Sen, is currently under police custody. The company had collapsed in April. Two directors of the group are also under police custody.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state