Chit fund scam: `Takeover of TV channels a ploy`
Kolkata: Senior CPI(M) leader Mohammed Selim on Friday alleged that West Bengal government`s announcement of taking over two TV channels run by scam-tainted Saradha group, was a ploy to compel its employees to withdraw cases against its chairman Sudipta Sen.
"Journalist, non-journalist and other employees of Tara News and Tara Muzik, had filed an FIR with the police against Sudipta Sen in April for not paying their salaries for three months," Selim, a party central committee member, told reporters at the party office.
"The government`s motive to take over the two channels is actually a ploy by the state government to force the employees to withdraw cases against Sen," Selim said.
He said that rules of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry clearly held that no state government could broadcast or uplink a news channel.
"This rule is being violated by the state government," he said.
Alleging that the state government was not serious in dealing with the Saradha group chit fund scam, he said it had not filed a single case against Sen.
Selim said that the state government`s attitude was partial as the Saradha group ran over a dozen media organisations and only two were taken over.
"These are crocodile tears before the panchayat election," the CPI(M) leader alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced