CID ascertaining the role of Sushanta in Nandigram
Kolkata: The CID said on Friday that they are
trying to ascertain whether CPI(M) leader and former West
Bengal minister Sushanta Ghosh, arrested in connection with
murder of several TMC supporters, had played any role in
Nandigram incident in 2007.
CPI(M) leaders Tapan Ghosh and Sukur Ali, who were wanted
by the CBI for the Chhoto Angria massacre of January 4,
2001 and arrested from Nandigram in November 11, 2007, were
very close to Ghosh, CID officials said today.
"We are therefore trying to ascertain whether Ghosh
played any role in Nandigram," they said.
The CID was also thinking of interrogating Ghosh and his
confidential assistant, Debashish Pyne, who was arrested from
the central bus stand in Midnapore town on July 24, face to
face, DG (CID), VV Thambi told reporters.
"There are 40 names in the FIR list and 25 of them have
direct involvement. We are thinking of interrogating Ghosh and
Pyne face to face," he said.
"He is fully cooperating. We are closely observing his
answers which will be verified later," the DG (CID) said.
He said a ten-member team has been formed to interrogate
Ghosh. The team has been divided into smaller ones headed by
However, he declined to give any more details.
Ghosh was arrested yesterday following rejection of his
anticipatory bail by a Midnapore court after a report by the
CID that the DNA of two out of seven skeletons dug up from
near his ancestral residence matched those of two missing
Trinamool Congress supporters, Ajoy Acharya and Raju Sinha.
The skeletons were dug up at Benachapra village in the
Garbeta police station area in West Midnapore district on June
An FIR had been filed against the former minister on June
4 at the Anandpur police station after Ajoy Acharya`s son
claimed that he had recognised his father from the clothes on
one of the skeletons.
He alleged that his father was among seven Trinamool
Congress workers who were abducted by CPI(M) cadre after a
meeting at Piyasala village in 2002. The seven have been
missing since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror