CM did not commit contempt of court: Lawyer`s body
New Delhi: A lawyers body has come to the support of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for her controversial comments on the judiciary and said that she did not commit any contempt of court by making the statement.
The All India Bar Association (AIBA) in its release quoted an earlier statement of then Chief Justice of India S P Barucha that 80 per cent of the judiciary was honest and rest 20 per cent of judiciary was corrupt.
Banerjee has not done anything wrong by making a statement against the judiciary, it said.
"When the head of the judiciary can make this statement at a public event in the presence of the media, we feel that Mamata Banerjee had not committed any contempt of court by making this statement.
"However, it would have been better if she would have brought forward some facts of corruption, if any, to the knowledge of the concerned authorities," AIBA chairman Dr Adish C Aggarwala said in the release.
The Chief Minister speaking on the occasion of West Bengal assembly`s platinum jubilee celebrations had reportedly said, "At times favourable verdicts are given in return for money. There are instances when judgements have been purchased.
"There is corruption among a section of the judiciary. I know there can be a case against me for saying this. But this must be said and I am ready to go to jail for saying so."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof