Coal mafia man gives cheque to CM for college; to be returned
West Bengal: A cheque handed over to West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee by a man said to be belonging to the coal mafia for construction of a college building in Burdwan district will be returned.
Joginder Singh Upal alias Kala Singh had handed over the cheque of Rs 1,11,101 towards construction of a building of the Rashbehari Ghosh Mahavidyalaya to the Chief Minister at a function at Ukrib area, 20 kms from here yesterday.
Mahavidyalaya Managing Committee secretary Deshbandhu Hazra said on Monday that a meeting had been held on the matter and it was decided to return the cheque to Singh.
When asked how Singh could be present at Bhattacharjee`s function and whether it was not a breach of security, Burdwan Superintendent of Police R Rajshekaran said he was aware that Joginder Singh Upal and Kala Singh were the same person, but he had not recognised him.
Police sources said that Singh, who allegedly belonged to the coal mafia, had numerous cases against him and was also arrested in May this year in a murder case and was on bail. Bankura MP Susmita Bawri had contributed Rs 14 lakh from her MPLAD fund and Raina MLA Prasanta Majhi gave Rs 30 lakh towards the construction of the building to be built on 17 bighas of land.
The college was now functioning with 200 students from ten rooms at the Rashbehari High School.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?