College student gang-raped, killed in West Bengal
Kolkata: A 20-year-old college student was gang-raped and murdered in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district, triggering protests. Three people have been arrested, police said Saturday.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape and murder, we have arrested three people," an officer of Barasat police station said.
The crime occurred Friday in Barasat, some 25 km from Kolkata.
Police said the victim, who had earlier been harassed by the men, was missing since Friday afternoon. Later that night, her body was found near Kirtipur in the area.
The state government has directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to take over the investigation, and announced a job for a family member of the victim.
"The CID has been directed to take over the investigation. We will ensure that a family member of the victim is provided with a job," state Food and Supplies Minister Jyotipriya Mallick said.
Both Mallick and Nurul Islam, Trinamool Congress MP from nearby Basirhat, faced hundreds of angry protesters demanding death penalty for the culprits.
The protests, which started with the recovery of the body, continued Saturday.
"We will continue protesting until (Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee intervenes and ensures that the culprits are hanged to death," one angry protestor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit