College student gang-raped, killed in West Bengal
Kolkata: A 20-year-old college student was gang-raped and murdered in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district, triggering protests. Three people have been arrested, police said Saturday.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape and murder, we have arrested three people," an officer of Barasat police station said.
The crime occurred Friday in Barasat, some 25 km from Kolkata.
Police said the victim, who had earlier been harassed by the men, was missing since Friday afternoon. Later that night, her body was found near Kirtipur in the area.
The state government has directed the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to take over the investigation, and announced a job for a family member of the victim.
"The CID has been directed to take over the investigation. We will ensure that a family member of the victim is provided with a job," state Food and Supplies Minister Jyotipriya Mallick said.
Both Mallick and Nurul Islam, Trinamool Congress MP from nearby Basirhat, faced hundreds of angry protesters demanding death penalty for the culprits.
The protests, which started with the recovery of the body, continued Saturday.
"We will continue protesting until (Chief Minister) Mamata Banerjee intervenes and ensures that the culprits are hanged to death," one angry protestor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...