Colourful celebrations mark Republic Day in Bengal
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan unfurled the Tricolour and took the salute at a colourful march-past as the eastern state joined the rest of the nation in celebrating the 65th Republic Day Sunday.
Units from the army, navy and air force took part in the customary parade showcasing battle tanks and other sophisticated weapons on the wide Indira Gandhi Sarani (formerly Red Road), where an Indian Air Force helicopter showered flower petals on the national flag just after the governor hoisted it.
Kolkata and West Bengal police personnel, fire brigade, NCC cadets also took part in the parade which drew huge crowds all along the 3-km route.
Well-decked up tableaux, and song and dance presentations by school children added to the variety of the ceremony.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, a number of her ministers, bureaucrats, members of the diplomatic corps were present on the occasion.
The national flag was hoisted at various union and state governments offices across the state.
A large number of organisations, educational institutions, and clubs also celebrated the Republic Day throughout the state by hoisting flags and organising march-past by students and children.
Flags were also unfurled at the headquarters of several political parties in the city.
State Governor Narayanan is scheduled to address the people later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire