Colourful celebrations mark Republic Day in Bengal
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan unfurled the Tricolour and took the salute at a colourful march-past as the eastern state joined the rest of the nation in celebrating the 65th Republic Day Sunday.
Units from the army, navy and air force took part in the customary parade showcasing battle tanks and other sophisticated weapons on the wide Indira Gandhi Sarani (formerly Red Road), where an Indian Air Force helicopter showered flower petals on the national flag just after the governor hoisted it.
Kolkata and West Bengal police personnel, fire brigade, NCC cadets also took part in the parade which drew huge crowds all along the 3-km route.
Well-decked up tableaux, and song and dance presentations by school children added to the variety of the ceremony.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, a number of her ministers, bureaucrats, members of the diplomatic corps were present on the occasion.
The national flag was hoisted at various union and state governments offices across the state.
A large number of organisations, educational institutions, and clubs also celebrated the Republic Day throughout the state by hoisting flags and organising march-past by students and children.
Flags were also unfurled at the headquarters of several political parties in the city.
State Governor Narayanan is scheduled to address the people later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1