Comment on Mamata not defamatory: Buddhadeb`s counsel
Kolkata: The counsel for Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Friday said defamation suit cannot be filed for the former West Bengal Chief Minister`s comment that she did not agree with the perception that Mamata Banerjee is honest.
"It is not a case of defamation. Inspite of this, if they so think it, they can file a defamation suit," Bhattacharjee`s counsel Ravishankar Chattopadhyay said.
Trinamool Congress has slapped a legal notice and given Bhattacharjee a 48-hour deadline to apologise or face legal action for telling a Bengali news channel "I don`t agree with the perception that she (Mamata Banerjee) is honest."
The 48-hour deadline served to Bhattacharjee will expire today.
"If Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee does not apologise, he will face legal action. It will be a defamation suit and may be filed soon," Trinamool Congress sources said.
The TMC legal cell added Mamata Banerjee was "a symbol of honesty", which the former chief minister had sought to tarnish.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!