‘Compensation for rape victims, a national shame’
Kolkata: The decision of the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal to compensate rape victims was a `national shame`, a Congress leader said here Wednesday.
"The announcement of compensation for rape is a national shame and it has happened in West Bengal," senior Congress leader Deepa Dasmunshi told a state youth conference for kick starting panchayat election preparedness.
"West Bengal ranks second in rape and first in crime in the country," she alleged.
She also criticised the TMC for trying to weaken the Congress.
"Congress gave support and even the rent of a helicopter was paid by the party," she said referring to the run up to the last assembly elections when a chopper was hired for the Trinamool Congress supremo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal