‘Compensation for rape victims, a national shame’
Kolkata: The decision of the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal to compensate rape victims was a `national shame`, a Congress leader said here Wednesday.
"The announcement of compensation for rape is a national shame and it has happened in West Bengal," senior Congress leader Deepa Dasmunshi told a state youth conference for kick starting panchayat election preparedness.
"West Bengal ranks second in rape and first in crime in the country," she alleged.
She also criticised the TMC for trying to weaken the Congress.
"Congress gave support and even the rent of a helicopter was paid by the party," she said referring to the run up to the last assembly elections when a chopper was hired for the Trinamool Congress supremo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway