‘Compensation for rape victims, a national shame’
Kolkata: The decision of the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal to compensate rape victims was a `national shame`, a Congress leader said here Wednesday.
"The announcement of compensation for rape is a national shame and it has happened in West Bengal," senior Congress leader Deepa Dasmunshi told a state youth conference for kick starting panchayat election preparedness.
"West Bengal ranks second in rape and first in crime in the country," she alleged.
She also criticised the TMC for trying to weaken the Congress.
"Congress gave support and even the rent of a helicopter was paid by the party," she said referring to the run up to the last assembly elections when a chopper was hired for the Trinamool Congress supremo.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!