‘Compensation for rape victims, a national shame’
Kolkata: The decision of the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal to compensate rape victims was a `national shame`, a Congress leader said here Wednesday.
"The announcement of compensation for rape is a national shame and it has happened in West Bengal," senior Congress leader Deepa Dasmunshi told a state youth conference for kick starting panchayat election preparedness.
"West Bengal ranks second in rape and first in crime in the country," she alleged.
She also criticised the TMC for trying to weaken the Congress.
"Congress gave support and even the rent of a helicopter was paid by the party," she said referring to the run up to the last assembly elections when a chopper was hired for the Trinamool Congress supremo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!