Cong asks Chidambaram to do more on illegal arms` hunt in WB
Kolkata: The Congress on Wednesday asked Union
Home minister P Chidambaram for greater coordination between
law enforcing agencies of the central and state governments to
recover illegal arms in West Bengal.
State Congress General Secretary Omprakash in a letter
to Chidambaram said the Congress and the Trinamool Congress
have appealed for restoring peace and Governor M K Narayanan
has instructed state administration to accelerate the drive to
flush out illegal arms and book culprits.
The administration, he said, has swung into action,
but the arms seized so far were only a "fraction of the
accumulated stockpile" in some districts.
Stating the WBPCC has repeatedly stated that illegal
arms were being used by the CPI-M, he said: "The quantity of
arms seized by the police is proof of our charge."
Firearms and bombs were seized from two CPI(M) party
offices by security forces during searches today, while three
skeletons were dug up by villagers in the hunt for illegal
arms in West Bengal.
Chidambaram during his visit to Agartala yesterday
expressed concern over the post-poll violence in West Bengal
and asked the Governor to take all measures to stop it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves