Cong Bengal unit says no to Gorkhaland
Kolkata: The Congress in West Bengal on Sunday
opposed creation of Gorkhaland by bifurcating the state and
said the region cannot be compared with Telangana in Andhra
Pradesh as socio-economic situations were dissimilar in the
The state unit also conveyed its feelings to Union
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
"We have expressed our concern to Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the WBPCC President, on the
second split (first was creation of east Bengal, now
Bangladesh) of the state," WBPCC working president Pradip
Bhattacharjee said after their meeting with Mukherjee at
the latter`s residence.
Expressing concern on the issue, Bhattacharjee said
that Telengana could never be a model for Gorkhaland since
political and socio-economic situations obtaining in the two
regions were dissimilar.
"We have already suffered a split and cannot suffer
another," Bhattacharjee told Mukherjee who declined to make
any comment citing the reason that Parliament was in session.
"Whatever to be said, I will say on the floor of the
House first and later to the media," Mukherjee was quoted as
having told Bhattacharjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!