Cong insists Centre sanctioned Rs 7,800 cr to WB
New Delhi: Despite the West Bengal Finance
Minister rubbishing the claim, Congress on Monday insisted that
the Centre has sanctioned Rs 7,800 crore to the Mamata
Banerjee Government, which has accused it of non-cooperation
in extending financial assistance.
"Figures speak for themselves. I am repeating what I
said in Kolkata yesterday that an amount of Rs 7,800 crore
was sanctioned by the Centre but am not sure as to what amount
has been released or not released or whether the state
government has utilized the funds so released", party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
His reaction came close on the heels of West Bengal
Finance Minister Amit Mitra rubbishing his claim and
maintaining that no amount had been received so far to the
cash-strapped government from the Centre.
"The claim is absolutely incorrect. So far not a
single paise has been received as part of a central relief
package. Perhaps he is ill-informed," Mitra told a press
conference in Kolkata.
Pleading that West Bengal be given a special economic
package to bail out the state which was saddled with a debt
burden of Rs 2.3 lakh crore left by the previous Left Front
regime, Mitra said, "It is possible that Singhvi is
Mamata`s Trinamool Congress is at loggerheads with the
Congress and the Centre on various issues and their ties have
been strained for sometime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs