Cong raises Nandigram as Trinamool stays away
Kolkata: The Congress on Monday raised in the
West Bengal Assembly the issue of Nandigram police firing,
which claimed at least 11 lives on March 14 in 2007, while
Trinamool Congress stayed away from the House to protest the
Raising the matter in the state Assembly, former Congress
Legislature Party leader Manas Bhuniya said that the manner in
which the ruling CPI(M) carried out a mass killing in
Nandigram with the police help, was unprecedented in the
"Many are still untraced. Neither the government nor the
police can say for sure when they will return," he said.
Accusing the state government of being a "government of
mass killers," he said that just as in Nandigram, the
government had "directly or indirectly" supported those who
had killed unarmed people in Netai.
Trinamool Congress members, however, chose to stay away
from the House in protest against the firing on unarmed people
"We have decided that at least for today, we will not
sit inside the House with members of the killer government,"
senior Trinamool Congress MLA Sovandeb Chattopadhyay said.
Earlier, the Trinamool Congress members paid floral
tributes at a martyr`s column in the Assembly premises to
those killed in the Nandigram police firing. A minute`s
silence was also observed in their memory.
Trinamool Congress members wore black badges in protest
against the police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers