Congress bent on maligning Trinamool: TMC leader
Kolkata: The war of words between Trinamool Congress and Congress in West Bengal over Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature for the Presidential post further escalated today with a top TC leader accusing the coalition partner of indulging in dirty politics to malign his party.
"Congress is attacking Trinamool Congress in a dirty manner. They should themselves judge what they are doing. Congress is alienated from the public and they have taken recourse to maligning our party," Trinamool Congress Secretary General and Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee told reporters on the sidelines of a programme here.
"Mamata Banerjee`s popularity is growing which was evident from the success in the recent civic polls where Trinamool Congress won four out of six municipal bodies. The party won the two Assembly seats where bypolls were held," Chatterjee said.
He said the Trinamool Congress Legislature Party had authorised party supremo Mamata Banerjee to take a stand on the presidential election.
The remark comes a day after Trinamool minister Firhad Hakim dared the Congress to leave the government.
At a recent legislature party meeting, the state Congress had taken a resolution that they were no longer comfortable in the Mamata Banerjee Cabinet and conveyed this to the party High Command.
Congress has two Cabinet ministers and four junior ministers in the West Bengal government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar