Congress bent on maligning Trinamool: TMC leader
Kolkata: The war of words between Trinamool Congress and Congress in West Bengal over Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature for the Presidential post further escalated today with a top TC leader accusing the coalition partner of indulging in dirty politics to malign his party.
"Congress is attacking Trinamool Congress in a dirty manner. They should themselves judge what they are doing. Congress is alienated from the public and they have taken recourse to maligning our party," Trinamool Congress Secretary General and Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee told reporters on the sidelines of a programme here.
"Mamata Banerjee`s popularity is growing which was evident from the success in the recent civic polls where Trinamool Congress won four out of six municipal bodies. The party won the two Assembly seats where bypolls were held," Chatterjee said.
He said the Trinamool Congress Legislature Party had authorised party supremo Mamata Banerjee to take a stand on the presidential election.
The remark comes a day after Trinamool minister Firhad Hakim dared the Congress to leave the government.
At a recent legislature party meeting, the state Congress had taken a resolution that they were no longer comfortable in the Mamata Banerjee Cabinet and conveyed this to the party High Command.
Congress has two Cabinet ministers and four junior ministers in the West Bengal government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi